Insurance coverage varies from state to state. In Florida, BCBS of Florida, Medicaid, Medicare and Medicare supplement policies DO NOT cover my services. Some Aetna, Cigna, BCBS Federal Plans, BCBS of Minnesota, and BCBS of NY plans do provide coverage for my services. Every plan is different, so it is up to you to confirm coverage with your insurance company.
If you are a veteran, often you can get a referral from your primary VA doctor and a preauthorization for coverage, at no out of pocket cost to you. Through August 2017, Choice Insurance through HealthNet will cover your visits if you are preauthorized.
I am a solo practitioner, therefore, I do not have the resources available to call and confirm coverage for you. It is your responsibility to contact your insurance provider to learn what kind of care is covered on your particular plan. Here are a few questions to ask:
- Will my plan cover acupuncture performed by a licensed Acupuncture Physician?
- How many visits per calendar year am I allowed?
- Do I need a referral from another provider?
- Are there specific diagnosis codes that must be used for coverage? Examples include pain condition or anesthesia only.
- What is my out-of-network co-pay per visit?
- Do I have an out-of-network deductible?
- If yes, has it been met?